But just as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us – see that you also excel in this grace of giving.” 2 Cor. 8:7 (NIV)
The Bible has more to say about giving than it does heaven, hell, prayer – even faith! Why is giving a recurrent theme in the Bible? Because God wants us to understand – and enjoy – the blessings that come to those who give with a cheerful heart. Here are just a few……
1. Faithful giving draws me closer to God.
“For where your treasure is, there you heart will be also.”
Matt. 6:21 (NIV)
2. Faithful giving is the key to an abundant life.
“Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way….they may take hold of the life that is truly life.”
1 Tim. 6:18-19 (NIV)
3. Faithful giving allows God a chance to prove that He exists and wants to bless me.
“‘Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.'”
Malachi 3:10 (NIV)
4. Faithful giving makes me more like God.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son…”
John 3:16 (NIV)
5. Faithful giving blesses me in return.
“He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.”
Proverbs 11:25 (NIV)
6. Faithful giving makes me happy.
(Jesus) “There is more happiness in giving than in receiving.”
Acts 20:35 (GN)
7. Faithful giving reminds me that everything was given to me by God.
“But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth…”
Deut. 8:18 (NIV)