Pray not just enough for yourselves but for more than enough, so we can be a blessing to others.
Jayson Lo inspires me too during the Steps to Financial Peace seminar last May 18. What he shared is practical and biblical, I believe that as much as we want to be blessed, God wants us to be blessed too, not with just enough but with more than enough, so that blessings will overflow, so that we can be a blessing to the people around us. God’s purpose for our lives is not just for us to live happily and comfortably here on earth, we are also made to serve and bless other people. That fulfill God’s purpose in our lives! So here are my notes:
- Talking about HOPE, no man cannot live without hope. And the best person to put our hope is to Jesus Christ Alone. He is the best source of hope.
- How can you get rich without winning the lotto, marrying a dirty old man or stepping into politics? Simple, “Spend less than what you earn and do it for a loooooooong time!”
- Personal finance is 80% behaviour and 20% knowledge. So invest on yourself, never stop learning. Learning doesn’t end in university, learning is an everyday thing. Learn from books, from blogs and articles in the internet, learn from other people and learn from your own experience.
- Don’t stop dreaming, Act Now! I believe that dreams do come true, through faith, hard work and determination, it will come true.
- Debt is a mental bondage. Remember the movie shopaholic? Ladies, can’t get enough of more clothes, bags, shoes, accessories that you never have a chance to wear? Until we find out that we’re trap on a credit card debt. God humbles us when we realized that we cannot do anything, but the goods news is He can! At some point of my life, God allow me to go through difficult times, being a dominant go-getter person, I work hard to achieve something, i fight to overcome, I try to find solutions, I try to resolve things on my own, i i i i i , until I end up frustrated. When I knew that my situation requires more powerful person to solve it I get down on my knees and pray. Then I realized that my powerful God is just there offering His hand to help and carry my load, I just need to ask and seek Him. Matthew 7:7-8 “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.”
- Money is not the root of all evil but the Love of money is root of all evil. Money is a heart issue.
- Wrong: Income –Expense = Savings; Right: Income – Savings = Expense. Don’t spend & live beyond your means. Prioritize savings and spend what’s left, save, spend on needs and if you have extra go and buy that LV neverfull bag which is part of your wish list. (oh by the way, I’m telling this to myself).
- Don’t lend money to help people, GIVE! Don’t lend. The Bible says “Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender.” (Proverbs 22:7) I’ve been a victim of this since I started working, I’m practically generous, when a relative or a friend asked me to lend money, I always give in, and during payment time, I’m really shy to remind them to pay me back, and since I have enough, I just end up giving it to them and tell God that I’ll just blessed them with that money, God will give it back to me a thousand folds anyways. I learned from Jayson that, “You destroy the relationship when you lend money.” True enough, there are some instances that I don’t talk to some of my relatives & avoid to meet some friends because of unpaid debt.
- Debt is a trap and not a tool, not a privilege. Learn how to say no when we are tempt to buy something (especially when we can’t afford it, but we can swipe it). Sometimes you have to say no to yourself, so later you can say yes.
Jayson Lo is an entreprenuer by heart. He pioneered companies in various industries including direct selling, manufacturing, trading & restaurant business. Now a public speaker & adviser to companies. educational institutions, and non-profit organizations, Jayson desires to help others to achieve their fullest potential.